Filter Results CategoriesCart

More Help with Federal Student Loan Problems

Free information to help you with all types of student loan problems is available at NCLC’s website, NCLC’s Student Loan Law (6th ed. 2019), available at, has even more detailed information. The best Department of Education website to use for student loan information generally and for managing your own loans is Useful publications to download from these websites, available in English and Spanish, include Do You Need Money for College?, The Guide to Federal Student Aid, and Federal Student Loans: Basics for Students.

Borrowers can submit problems and complaints online, as well as seek assistance from the Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid Ombudsman, at Borrowers can also contact the Ombudsman for assistance by calling toll-free 877-557-2575. Many guaranty agencies and private lenders also have ombudsman or customer advocate units. Another source to receive complaints is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at You can also contact your state or local consumer protection agency to make a complaint or seek assistance.